Thursday, February 5, 2009

Two Years Ago... We Got the Call; and Here's to Pop


It's been 2 years (Feb. 6, 2007) that we got the glorious call that our boy was waiting for us in Uralsk, Kazakhstan. I (Amy) freaked out when our coordinator called the house at 8:30 a.m. (she never called the house), and I knew that's why she was calling. After getting all the wonderful details about Joshua, I frantically tried to reach Dave via cell phone, but to no avail. He was on a job site, in the middle of a frozen field in Delaware, prospecting a project. Finally after about 20 minutes of repeated 911 pages, he returned the call. WOW, what a morning. It was probably the coldest day of the year, but I was shivering more from excitement about what was coming over email at any minute. I waited until Dave raced home from Delaware to open the emailed photo we received of our boy (posted last year at this time), to know upon first glance that he was indeed our son. What restraint and patience I showed at not peeking until Dave finally got home around Noon! We cried, laughed, jumped up and down and knew our lives would be forever changed. And all for the better.

Joshua continues to be the most amazing child, and now at nearly 2 1/2 years old, delights us with his wonderful language skills, makes us laugh with his sense of humor, and astounds us with his sensitivity to all that's going on around him. Joshua loves music, books, running, kicking, laughing, and playing with his cars and trains. He loves to be the center of attention, and loves a good party! We are so blessed.

And here's to his Papa - a special man indeed, who weathered the biggest storm of all this last year concerning my health. But, we are so blessed by the love and support of our families and dear friends, who have helped us immensely through that turbulent time.

I'm sharing here a picture of me, Joshua and Pop (my beloved dad) from Joshua's 1st birthday and christening on 9/16/06. Pop passed away on January 10, 2009 but he had the joy of knowing and loving Joshua, and delighting in his antics. Joshua had the honor of knowing his Pop, a man with sparkling blue eyes, and a love of all in his life, especially his grandchildren. Joshua knows Pop is in heaven, and knows that Pop worked with big gasoline trucks and big ships. We will be sure Joshua learns more and more about his Pop, and what a wonderful Pop he was to us all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy, what a lovely memorial to your Pop, and a lovely 'picture' of Joshua. You bring tears to my eyes. Love and hugs to you all.
Baba

Anonymous said...

I agree with Baba, what a great tribute. Joshua will forever have gotten to know his Pop. "The Call" is an amazing story, for Joshua and You guys alike! There is a lot for J to always hold onto. The 3 of you are very lucky!

<3 Dara

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Hard to believe that was 2 years ago!! What a nice post and memorial to your father. He is will be watching from above.
Hope to see you soon!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Hope you are doing well. Give the J man and Davo a hug. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Amy, this is just such a nice tribute to all your men. I've opened it 3 times and I cry each time. Happiness for Josuha because he has such great parents and for you and Dave having weathered such a hard year and sadness for all us losing a dad and husband. Love to you all.

Vicki

TB said...

Amy, my sincere condolence goes to you and your family. In the photo, I love the way that Joshua is looking at your Pop.